Court defers verdict on Adhikari murder again

- Post Report, Chitwan

Feb 26, 2018-

Chitwan District Court once again put off the final verdict on Krishna Prasad Adhikari murder by issuing an order calling the petitioner to the court for inquiry. 

Adhikari of Fujel, Gorkha, was killed during the armed conflict in 2004.

The court had slated the date of ruling on the war-era case for Sunday - the 20th slated date for the final verdict.  

Court Information Officer Keshav Prasad Poudel said, “The district judge Kul Prasad Sharma gave verdict to inquire about the case by calling petitioner Nur Prasad Adhikari at the court.”

The case, sub judice at Chitwan District Court, has drawn widespread public attention since it has seen postponements more than a dozen times. The deceased Krishna Prasad’s brother Nur Prasad had filed the murder case on April 13, 2014 in Chitwan District Court.

Even though the court heard arguments of the plaintiff and defence lawyers around 18 months ago, the verdict hangs in the balance because of repeated rescheduling of final ruling. The lawyers held the last discussion on the case in September, 2016. Then District Court Judge Tek Narayan Kunwar had then asked the lawyers to put forth their arguments in writing.

Krishna Prasad of Gorkha District was allegedly murdered by cadres of then rebel CPN (Maoist) on June 6, 2004, when he had gone to visit his grandparents in Ratnanagar, Chitwan.

The CPN (Maoist Centre) has taken a stand against the case stating Truth and Reconciliation Commission should deal with the war-era case. 

The victim’s father Nanda Prasad Adhikari had filed a complaint against some individuals citing their involvement in the 2004 murder of his son. After one and a half year, his older son Nur Prasad registered an application naming 13 individuals responsible for his brother’s killing, prompting the court to proceed with the case.

Later, among the accused, seven were released on bail while four on general date. Two had not come into contact with the court.

Nanda Prasad succumbed to his 11-month hunger strike in September, 2014 while seeking justice for his murdered son and his body is still in the Tribhuvan University Teaching Hospital. His wife Ganga Maya has been surviving on liquid at the Bir Hospital in her bid to exert pressure on the State to bring the murderers of her son to book.

Advocate Pushparaj Poudel, who has been advocating on behalf of the petitioner, said that the Sunday’s decision of the court would certainly delay the final hearing of the much-hyped up case.

Nur Prasad is out of contact in the recent time. Pushparaj is of opinion that there will be further legal process to take the final decision if Nur Prasad does not contact the court.

Published: 26-02-2018 08:44

User's Feedback

Click here for your comments

Comment via Facebook

Don't have facebook account? Use this form to comment