Yadav’s family suspects torture, demands probe

  • Custody death
Victim’s mother says they were only informed about his death, questioning why police had not told them earlier if he was ill

Sep 4, 2018-Two days after the death of Free Madhes activist Ram Manohar Yadav in police custody, his family has demanded investigation into the incident suspecting torture as the cause.

“We suddenly received news about his death. Why didn’t the police inform us if he was ill?” Yadav’s mother Dhiraja questioned, demanding impartial probe into his death. The bereaved family claimed that he died due to the sheer negligence of authorities.

“We won’t receive the body until investigation into the incident,” said Dhiraja. Yadav, a permanent resident of Janaki Rural Municipality-6 in Banke, was active in the Free Madhes movement spearheaded by CK Raut. Earlier, he was arrested in Banke and released after the order of the High Court.

On August 23, police arrested Yadav along with three other Raut supporters—Harpal Singh, Irfan Sheikh and Ranjit Ram Verma—on the charge of showing black flags to Deputy Prime Minister and Health Minister Upendra Yadav in Bardiya. Police had filed treason charges against the four in Bardiya District Court.

Officials said Yadav collapsed inside the cell on August 30 and was taken to Bardiya District Hospital in Gulariya immediately. He was later referred to Nepalgunj for treatment and finally sent to Kathmandu as his condition had worsened. Doctors declared Yadav dead shortly after he was admitted to the Tribhuvan University Teaching Hospital in the Capital.

The Terai Human Rights Defenders Alliance claimed that Yadav died due to the carelessness of police and delay in treatment. A patient of high blood pressure, Yadav died as he was taken to hospital late, said the Alliance.

The Bardiya District Administration Office has ruled out carelessness in his treatment. Chief District Officer Ram Bahadur Kurumbang said Yadav was taken to hospital without wasting time and he died there during treatment.

Another detainee taken ill Irfan Sheikh, detained along with Yadav, is said to have been ill since Sunday night. Sheikh is receiving treatment at the Bardiya District Hospital for diarrhoea. According to the hospital, his health is improving.

Published: 04-09-2018 07:31

Next Story

User's Feedback

Click here for your comments

Comment via Facebook

Don't have facebook account? Use this form to comment